History

Building relationships for over 100 years.

The story of Kanza Cooperative isn’t just about our locations across central and south central Kansas. It’s about people‚ generations of hard-working Kansas farmers who decided over 100 years ago that working together, they are stronger.

Those relationships with family farms brought Kanza to where we are today. And it’s what will guide us in the future‚ helping today’s Kansas farmers use the best products and the latest practices to get the most out of every acre they farm.

 

1915

A group of Pratt County farmers form Iuka Cooperative Exchange in time for the 1915 wheat crop.

 

1919

Purchases its first grain elevator in Iuka for a cost of approximately $3,100.

 

1930s

Weathers the Great Depression and Dust Bowl, and builds an addition to the elevator in the late 1930s.

 

1946

Builds a 100,000-bushel concrete elevator.

 

1950s

Embraces innovations in agriculture by supplying dry and liquid fertilizer, helping farmers double wheat production.

 

1961

Builds a new 300,000-bushel concrete elevator

 

1965

Tornado destroys wooden Iuka Co-op office building, which is replaced with a brick building.

 

1981

Merges with Pratt Equity Exchange‚ the first merger in the cooperative’s 65-year history.

 

Late 1980s

Purchases milo storage facilities at Byers, and expands the facility.

 

1991

Acquires Dillwyn Grain and Supply Co., which includes the elevator and grain storage facility in St. John.

 

2000

Merges with Zenith Co-op, which includes Stafford facilities.

 

2001

Changes name to Kanza Cooperative Association.

 

2016

Merges with Andale Farmers Cooperative, bringing together farm families from four Kansas counties: Pratt, Harvey, Stafford and Sedgwick.